Monday, November 10, 2008

Incomprehensible

This caught my eye while going over the local forums to once again survey the development of the general populace.

Am I out of topic for MUET Essay?

To my understanding the topic for the essay is writing based on personal opinion regarding materialism; caring about money and what it can buy. The writer is to express their views I guess, whether they agree or disagree with the notion.

Now reading this person's post inflicted me with intelligence hurt. The post asks he/she was off topic, while providing a statement about companies in China producing "articifial eggs & harzardous milk ingredients just to make more profit."

I quoted directly from the post and I am aware of the misspellings. It may not be off topic if you want to get technical about it, but it is sure irrelevant. I believe the "target" the poster should have been addressing are consumer-wise, ordinary people in terms of their spending and earning power. A collective of individuals if you will. I have no idea why the poster decided to talk about companies that by default are created to make profit. The poster's notion would have been better suited for a topic related to companies practicing unethical means of making profit.

The "added value" to that entire thread was other posters assuring him/her that he/she was not off topic and was safe. Good Lord. The future generation of the nation ladies and gentlemen. I know some people who actually thought form 6 and MUET was a big deal and that it was supposedly a very high qualification if achieved. Some of them even complain how difficult it is. Now I do not claim myself to be an expert with the English language, but I would like to think myself decent at it and that kind of topic would be suited for early high school years.


1 comment:

enochho said...

actually the standard of the MUET is alright. Not too easy, not too tough, but it still is pretty frightening how many people still can't get through it.

What's worse is the people who just scrape through it and get into university, still don't improve on their English by the time they graduate. And they were supposed to have done the entire university course in English. Makes you wonder how on earth they passed their exams.